Do you find that one of your most frustrating challenges is waiting for inventory to be delivered to your warehouse? Is it even more of an issue when the inventory has to travel the extra miles required from an overseas port? If you have been finding that uncertainty about delivery dates has led to frustration and delays in filling orders for your business, there is a solution that will make tracking these shipments easier.
You will be able to keep your team members advised about where your inventory is and whether it is currently in transit onboard a ship. This information can be shared with your customer service representatives, your purchasing agents, and your accounting department.
Why Does Transporting Goods by Sea Make Sense?
If you have not considered vendors who transport goods by sea, you may not be aware that the international shipping industry is crucial for the global economy. The following facts and figures were provided by the Maritime Industry Knowledge Centre:
- This industry carries approximately 90% of the world’s trade.
- Modern transport ships are highly sophisticated and are equipped to transport a wide range of goods, including bulk raw materials and manufactured products such as electronics and cars.
- Shipping is a safe way of importing raw materials and inventory for your business. It is also the safest way to get them from international vendors to your warehouse. The shipping industry has taken measures to adopt international safety standards.
- It is an efficient way to move cargo. One container ship can carry up to 8,000 containers of materials and finished goods on a voyage. This is the equivalent of several large warehouses at one time.
- Transport ships are a fast and economical way to move inventory. For example, a container containing finished goods such as refrigerators can be moved from Malaysia to Los Angeles in just over two weeks. A CD player can be shipped from Asia to the US for approximately $1.50 and a kilogram of coffee can be moved between the same locations for far less than that—only $0.15!
On the Water for Sage 100cloud Software
As a business owner or manager, you know how important inventory management is to a successful operation. You may be running your warehouse on a JIT (just in time) basis to maximize your cash flow and minimize the inventory to have to keep in stock. This can be a sound business decision; however, it can end up leading to stressful situations if an order is not delivered as anticipated.
If you are importing materials for your manufacturing business or finished products for your distribution business and they are being transported by ship, inventory tracking is a key part of your overall operation management. That’s where On the Water for Sage 100cloud software comes in.
- Estimated and Actual Date Tracking
When you choose this tool, you will know exactly where your inventory is and when it has been loaded onto the vessel for transport. Your team will be able to look up this information, along with the estimated and actual dates when the goods are loaded on the ship and when they have arrived in the warehouse.
- Flexible Enough for Shipments of Various Sizes
On the Water can be used whether you are receiving your orders in pallets or as full container loads.
- Customer service can pre-book to sales orders for the inventory that has not arrived at the warehouse yet.
This tool uses smart technology to move the allocations for particular orders assigned to a particular customer automatically as the inventory arrives at the warehouse.
- Query Feature Makes Tracking Inventory Quick, Easy
Look up inventory to determine whether it is on the water and to determine when it will arrive at your warehouse. Estimates are provided and updated with actual dates so your team can track your shipment en route.
On the Water for Sage 100cloud software makes tracking inventory being transported by sea an easy and streamlined process for your entire team. Contact us today to learn more about how this effective tool can benefit your business. Contact us online or call (330) 645-9959 to schedule an appointment with a Scanco Solutions Expert.