BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) has flooded businesses over the last few years. While companies originally pushed back to try to control this wave, the fact is BYOD and mobility are here to stay. It is time to ride the wave and shape mobility to work for you.
Mobility is firmly entrenched in today’s business operations. In a 2013 survey of 752 companies, CDW found:
- 94% say mobile devices make them more efficient
- 89% of business employees use mobile devices for work
- 67% would be less competitive without mobility
Benefits of Mobility in Warehouse Management
The rapid changes in mobile devices create many opportunities to be more effective in warehouse management. Mobility enables greater communications and collaboration resulting in increased productivity through more efficient processes and better data. Where business models rely on rapid inventory turns, tight schedules and thin margins, mobile technology is especially effective.
Mobile devices like radio frequency hand-held devices and bar code scanners have been used successfully in warehouse management for some time to provide real-time information and product tracking. However, there is great opportunity in supply chain management to conduct business processes with mobile technology as well. Mobile devices and a system like Scanco Warehouse for Sage 100 (formerly MAS 200 ERP) can be used across the entire supply chain from the front to the back of the warehouse.
- Receiving: Capture inventory data from the point that it arrives in the dock. Incoming shipments can be automatically verified against purchase orders and instructions sent to an employee’s mobile device.
- Storage: Putaway is expedited by the system providing the best path to the right storage location or outbound location. Maintain visibility without the use of a paper trail.
- Inventory Control: Replenishment is facilitated by hand-held mobile devices. Requests can be handled in seconds and workers directed to the right location by the quickest route.
- Order Fulfillment: Picking operations are made more efficient with accurate order and storage information.
- Packaging: Packaging operations can be automatic with error-free order validation.
- Shipping: Shipments can be scanned, verified and staged for the proper truck.
In addition, using Scanco Warehouse, seamlessly integrated with Sage 100 (formerly MAS 200 ERP), provides many benefits by automating and integrating processes to keep your entire company aligned and running smoothly.
- Mobile warehouse apps integrated with Sage 100 (MAS 200 ERP) will reduce costs and improve efficiency. Mobile data collection sends real-time data into your ERP system eliminating manual entry and reporting errors. Better data mean better inventory management and efficiency which in turn lead to lower costs and higher profitability.
- Using mobile technology will result in improved performance and greater customer satisfaction. When you update and change information as it happens, replacing manually-intensive inventory processes, you can create value-added services and a seamless consumer buying experience.
How to Evaluate Mobile Capabilities
If you are looking to add BYOD mobility to your warehouse, what other things should you consider? There are a number of mobile capabilities to evaluate including functionality, usability, compatibility and security.
- Functionality: Simple reporting and dashboards have been available on mobile devices for some time, but now companies are moving toward conducting business processes on these devices.
- Usability: Interfaces will need to be optimized for smaller screens. The interfaces must be simple and easy-to-use to eliminate employee frustration.
- Compatibility: The technology must work on a variety of devices including iOS and Android systems.
- Security: Increased data accessibility helps improve efficiency and responsiveness, but it creates more data security issues. Regardless of the platform you choose, care must be taken to secure data both internally and externally.
Scanco can help you take advantage of the BYOD wave by providing apps that run on iOS, Android and Windows. Contact us to learn how to implement mobility in your manufacturing and distribution business.
What have been your experiences with BYOD? What problems have you encountered? Share your thoughts in the comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!