Choosing a good technology consultant can be challenging. With so many software consultants out there, many manufacturers and distributors have trouble choosing a consultant who fits their business. As we discussed last month, choosing the right warehouse management technology consultant is important to the success of your business and the return on investment (ROI) of your warehouse management software. Taking the time to find a good technology consultant will not only help you get the most out of your technology investment, but it will also help you forge a relationship that will be beneficial to your business for years to come.
A good warehouse management technology consultant will not just try to sell you the software; they will be interested in building a long-term relationship with your company. A good consultant is interested in helping you implement more effective strategies in your warehouse and demonstrating how you can use the technology you already own to streamline processes and improve upon your efficiency. After all, a good warehouse management technology consultant knows warehouse management. This knowledge will not only help you implement the right technology, but it will also help you improve upon your current processes so you can reach your manufacturing goals.
In order to choose a good technology consultant, you have to know what makes a good consultant. We’ve created a list of the top five characteristics to look for when choosing a warehouse management technology consultant. Keep the following in mind as you search for a consulting company to partner with for your warehouse management software investment:
Good consultants – particularly good warehouse management technology consultants – spend the necessary time with your company before they even begin to implement new technology. Good consultants take time to understand what you are hoping to accomplish through your technology investments and offer suggestions to make it more cost-effective and successful for your company in the long-term.
- A good warehouse management technology consultant will take the time to get to know your business and your needs. Good consultants spend the necessary time with your company before they even begin to implement new technology. They take the time to understand what you are hoping to accomplish through your technology investment and offer suggestions to make the process more cost-effective and successful for your company in the long-term. They ask questions and are interested in the current state of your manufacturing operation so they can better understand your situation and the solutions needed to help you reach your goals.
- A good consultant will listen to what you have to say. As we stated above, taking the time to understand what your company needs is the sole responsibility of a software consultant. Listening to your current problems and future goals will help the consultant choose the right solution for you. Make sure you choose a consultant who listens to you. We promise this will make a huge difference down the road when it’s time to implement the solution.
- They will be proactive when implementing technology. Hiccups are always to be expected during software implementation. A good consultant anticipates problems and develops innovative solutions to keep the project moving forward.
- They will explore a variety of solutions and align you with the best fit for your business. A good technology consultant is interested in what works for your company. By listening to your problems and needs, they can identify the perfect fit for your company and even recommend certain technologies to make your job easier.
- They will be available to your needs. Expecting your consultant to be available 24/7 is a tad unrealistic; however, good consultants do make it a point to make themselves available to their clients as soon as possible. They respond to issues in a timely manner and check in to ensure everything is working as it should be. If your consulting company does not respond to your requests in a timely manner, it may be time to look for a company who will place you as a priority.
What do you look for in a technology consultant? Do you have any more characteristics to add to the list?