Mobile printing is a hot topic among today’s manufacturers and distributors. As time continues to be a precious commodity in the business world, companies are searching for ways to automate everyday tasks and improve efficiency in the warehouse. Mobile printing can certainly help companies achieve this goal; however, in order to receive the full benefits, you need to have a thorough understanding of what mobile printing can do for your business.
Before you can even begin to consider implementing a mobile printing solution, you need to have a clear definition of mobile printing as it relates to the warehouse. Mobile printing, to put it simply, is the ability to print from a mobile device. This can include sending barcode labels to the printer or printing labels directly from your mobile device via a simple attachment. For true efficiency, many companies are opting for the latter. Labels can be generated at the point of activity – no matter your location in the warehouse – and workers can produce labels wherever they are needing, serving to minimize labeling errors and eliminate the time wasted walking to and from the printer.
Efficiency, however, is not the only thing gained when you implement a mobile label printing solution. Take a look at some of the other benefits your company could achieve from implementing a mobile label printing solution:
- Shipments can be processed more quickly and accurately.
- The danger of mislabeling products is eliminated as labels can be printed directly on the spot.
- Time is saved as workers aren’t having to walk back and forth across the warehouse to retrieve printed barcode labels.
Mobile label printing can transform your warehouse and increase your productivity, accuracy, and – ultimately – profitability. Interested in seeing how mobile printers work in-action? Take a look at the following list to see how warehouses just like you are using mobile printers:
- Cross-Docking: When shipments come into the warehouse, workers are using mobile devices, such as iPhones, tablets and handhelds, to log incoming shipments. They then create and print labels with cross-docking information directly from their mobile device, all without leaving the docking area and zero chance of label mix-ups.
- Receiving: When you use a mobile label printing solution, barcode labels can be affixed directly upon receipt, ensuring that 100% of all incoming products have accurate barcodes before entering the warehouse. This serves to improve accuracy and eliminates the time wasted traveling to the IT offices to retrieve preprinted barcode labels.
- Put Away: When paired with a mobile device equipped with mobile ERP access, mobile printing solutions can serve to improve accuracy and efficiency in the put away process. The solution communicates directly with the company’s ERP system so warehouse workers can update inventory and print accurate bin, package or pallet labels directly on the spot.
- Picking: Using a mobile printer, warehouse workers can generate barcode labels for each item on their pick list and scan them for staging or packaging for shipment.
- Packaging and Shipping: Printing labels at the point of application serves to improve efficiency. Whether you’re assembling for shipment or packing up finished goods, mobile printers can help. Once the order is assembled, warehouse workers can scan the barcode on the package and print an accurate shipping label.
As you can see, mobile printing can be used throughout the warehouse to streamline processes and improve effectiveness. Our newest product, Scanco SkyPrint, allows you to print barcode labels from directly within our Sage 100 warehouse management environment using a mobile device. Contact us today to learn more about our mobile label printing software and how it can help your company improve efficiency and more.