As we discussed last week, successful manufacturing and distribution companies are in control of their warehouses. While there is no “one-size-fits-all” method to warehouse management, there are definitely tips and tricks you can adopt to make your warehouse operate at its optimum level. Last week, we looked at five of these tips to help you prepare your warehouse for the end of the year. This week, we’d like to pick up where we left off and provide you with a few more details to ensure that you end the year on a successful note.
5 Warehouse Management Strategies that Should Not be Overlooked
Everyone has suggestions for how you should manage your warehouse and accomplish your goals; however, successful warehouse management requires you to combine all of those suggestions and create a personalized plan that fits your warehouse needs. Keep the following tips and strategies in mind as you start to create your own personalized warehouse management plan for the new year:
- Review the safety of your warehouse. Keeping your warehouse safe is a key component to warehouse management. Offer your employees training on the proper use of forklifts on a regular basis. Also, be sure to have clearly labeled traffic patterns, and keep traffic lanes clear of clutter. This will free your employees from captivity and release them from immobile stock rooms to move about freely and productively.
- Offer regular training on the processes you’ve put in place. Schedule time to have regular training sessions for both new and seasoned employees. This will ensure the processes you have worked so hard to develop are being clearly communicated and understood by all. This is the best way to ensure those same processes are being accurately carried out. You may also consider cross-training so that each person on the floor has a better understanding of the various jobs and can step in when needed.
- Ask for feedback. It’s an often overlooked, but critical, aspect of warehouse management. Your warehouse team can provide you with invaluable feedback – if only you’d ask. They can provide feedback that will greatly improve efficiency and increase employee satisfaction. Allowing your staff to have a say in the warehouse processes will also show them that they are valued and can lead to overall more satisfied employees.
- Create a customer-focused environment. Make sure that your employees remember who they are serving when they perform their job. Your customers are the most important part of your organization and implementing processes that keep the customer at the forefront of your mind is essential.
- Utilize technology. The biggest mistake we see in warehouse management is not using the technology that is available to you. Warehouse management software and applications can automate time-consuming processes, deliver real-time information, and eliminate costly data entry errors that delay order fulfillment. With the availability of mobile devices and the Cloud, there really is no excuse to not be using the latest technology solutions to support your warehouse management efforts.
These warehouse management tips are about more than creating order in the warehouse. By implementing the above tips, you are helping to improve your bottom line, increase efficiency, boost productivity, and reduce overhead costs. If you are looking for the right technology to help support your end of the year efforts, take a look at our newest Sage 100 warehouse management and automation solutions. These solutions were built with the modern day warehouse in mind and designed to provide you with everything you need to be successful in warehouse management.
If you need help preparing your warehouse for 2016, give us a call today. We can help you start preparing now so you aren’t scrambling in the middle of the holiday season rush.